Past, Present, and Prospects for Thailand’s Growth: A Labor Market Perspective
AbstractUsing growth accounting and econometric estimation methodologies, we investigate Thailand’s growth developments from 1972 to 2007 and project forward Thailand’s supply-side long-term potential growth till 2035. Our analysis is framed in terms of labor productivity and labor market developments. In this respect, the macroeconomic impact of Thailand’s ageing population is also highlighted. Our findings suggest that priority should be given to the resuscitation of capital accumulation or Thailand will fall to a permanent lower growth path.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand in its series Working Papers with number 2008-07.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision:
productivity growth; growth accounting; demographic changes; Asia; Thailand;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005. "Productivity growth in UK industries, 1970-2000: structural change and the role of ICT," Bank of England working papers 259, Bank of England.
- Ramon Gomez-Salvador & Alberto Musso & Marc Stocker & Jarkko Turunen, 2006. "Labour productivity developments in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 53, European Central Bank.
- Young, Alwyn, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-80, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pornpinun Chantapacdepong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.