AbstractIn this presentation, I provide a brief overview of quasiexperimental methods of estimating causal impacts using Stata: panel data, matching and reweighting, instrumental variables, and regression discontinuity designs, emphasizing practical considerations. I pay particular attention to the regression discontinuity method, which is the least widely known but the most well regarded of the quasiexperimental methods in those circumstances where it is appropriate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series DC09 Stata Conference with number 8.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp072011 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Abigail Payne, 2009. "Does Government Funding Change Behavior? An Empirical Analysis of Crowd Out," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 23, pages 159-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip Verwimp, 2011.
"Malnutrition, subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi,"
HiCN Working Papers
97, Households in Conflict Network.
- Philip Verwimp, 2011. "Malnutrition, subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi," Working Papers CEB 11-025, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Philip Verwimp, 2011. "Malnutrition, Subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-012, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michael Clemens & Erwin Tiongson, 2012.
"Split Decisions: Family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1234, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012. "Split Decisions: Family Finance when a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work," IZA Discussion Papers 7028, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Clemens and Erwin Tiongson, 2013. "Split Decisions: Family Finance When a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work," Working Papers 324, Center for Global Development.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012. "Split decisions : family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6287, The World Bank.
- Austin Nichols, 2011. "Causal inference for binary regression with observational data," CHI11 Stata Conference 6, Stata Users Group.
- Gilles Grenier & Serge Nadeau, 2011. "English as the Lingua Franca and the Economic Value of Other Languages: the Case of the Language of Work of Immigrants and Non-immigrants in the Montreal Labour Market," Working Papers 1107E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Kandpal, Eeshani & Baylis, Kathy & Arends-Kuenning, Mary P., 2012. "Empowering Women through Education and Influence: An Evaluation of the Indian Mahila Samakhya Program," IZA Discussion Papers 6347, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian K.M. Kingombe, 2012. "The Linkage between Outcome Differences in Cotton Production and Rural Roads Improvements - A Matching Approach," IHEID Working Papers 12-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Rebekka Christopoulou & Ahmed Jaber & Dean R. Lillard, 2013. "The Inter-generational and Social Transmission of Cultural Traits: Theory and Evidence from Smoking Behavior," NBER Working Papers 19304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Finger & Shanti Gamper-Rabindran, 2013. "Testing the effects of self-regulation on industrial accidents," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 115-146, April.
- Vial, Virginie & Hanoteau, Julien, 2010. "Corruption, Manufacturing Plant Growth, and the Asian Paradox: Indonesian Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 693-705, May.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," Discussion Papers 121229, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Guido Pellegrini & Augusto Cerqua, 2011. "Are the subsidies to private capital useful? A Multiple Regression Discontinuity Design Approach1," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1323, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.