AbstractIn this presentation, I provide a brief overview of quasiexperimental methods of estimating causal impacts using Stata: panel data, matching and reweighting, instrumental variables, and regression discontinuity designs, emphasizing practical considerations. I pay particular attention to the regression discontinuity method, which is the least widely known but the most well regarded of the quasiexperimental methods in those circumstances where it is appropriate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series DC09 Stata Conference with number 8.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Ari Francisco de Araujo Jr. & João Ricardo Faria, 2011. "Brazilian Land Tenure and Conflicts: The Landless Peasants' Movement," Working Papers 2011/07, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Philip Verwimp, 2011.
"Malnutrition, Subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2011-012, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Philip Verwimp, 2011. "Malnutrition, subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi," HiCN Working Papers 97, Households in Conflict Network.
- Philip Verwimp, 2011. "Malnutrition, subsequent Risk of Mortality and Civil War in Burundi," Working Papers CEB 11-025, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- A. Abigail Payne, 2009. "Does Government Funding Change Behavior? An Empirical Analysis of Crowd Out," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 23, pages 159-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012.
"Split decisions : family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6287, The World Bank.
- Michael Clemens & Erwin Tiongson, 2012. "Split Decisions: Family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1234, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012. "Split Decisions: Family Finance when a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work," IZA Discussion Papers 7028, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Clemens and Erwin Tiongson, 2013. "Split Decisions: Family Finance When a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work," Working Papers 324, Center for Global Development.
- Austin Nichols, 2011. "Causal inference for binary regression with observational data," CHI11 Stata Conference 6, Stata Users Group.
- Christian K.M. Kingombe, 2012. "The Linkage between Outcome Differences in Cotton Production and Rural Roads Improvements - A Matching Approach," IHEID Working Papers 12-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," Discussion Papers 121229, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Gilles Grenier & Serge Nadeau, 2011. "English as the Lingua Franca and the Economic Value of Other Languages: the Case of the Language of Work of Immigrants and Non-immigrants in the Montreal Labour Market," Working Papers 1107E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Vial, Virginie & Hanoteau, Julien, 2010. "Corruption, Manufacturing Plant Growth, and the Asian Paradox: Indonesian Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 693-705, May.
- Guido Pellegrini & Augusto Cerqua, 2011. "Are the subsidies to private capital useful? A Multiple Regression Discontinuity Design Approach1," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1323, European Regional Science Association.
- Kandpal, Eeshani & Baylis, Kathy & Arends-Kuenning, Mary P., 2012. "Empowering Women through Education and Influence: An Evaluation of the Indian Mahila Samakhya Program," IZA Discussion Papers 6347, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.