CEM: Coarsened Exact Matching in Stata
AbstractWe introduce a Stata implementation of coarsened exact matching, a new method for improving the estimation of causal effects by reducing imbalance in covariates between treated and control groups. Coarsened exact matching is faster, is easier to use and understand, requires fewer assumptions, is more easily automated, and possesses more attractive statistical properties for many applications than do existing matching methods. In coarsened exact matching, users temporarily coarsen their data, exact match on these coarsened data, and then run their analysis on the uncoarsened, matched data. Coarsened exact matching bounds the degree of model dependence and causal effect estimation error by ex ante user choice, is monotonic imbalance bounding (so that reducing the maximum imbalance on one variable has no effect on others), does not require a separate procedure to restrict data to common support, meets the congruence principle, is approximately invariant to measurement error, balances all nonlinearities and interactions in sample (i.e., not merely in expectation), and works with multiply imputed datasets. Other matching methods inherit many of the coarsened exact matching methodâ€™s properties when applied to further match data preprocessed by coarsened exact matching.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series BOS10 Stata Conference with number 8.
Date of creation: 20 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corneo, Giacomo & Keese, Matthias & Schröder, Carsten, 2010.
"The effect of saving subsidies on household saving: Evidence from Germany,"
2010/3, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Giacomo Corneo & Matthias Keese & Carsten Schröder, 2010. "The Eff ect of Saving Subsidies on Household Saving – Evidence from Germanys," Ruhr Economic Papers 0170, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Maher, Joe, 2013. "Measuring the Energy Savings from Tree Shade," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150567, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pierre Azoulay & Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2011.
"The Diffusion of Scientific Knowledge across Time and Space: Evidence from Professional Transitions for the Superstars of Medicine,"
in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity Revisited, pages 107-155
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Azoulay & Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2011. "The Diffusion of Scientific Knowledge Across Time and Space: Evidence from Professional Transitions for the Superstars of Medicine," NBER Working Papers 16683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartley, G.R. & Ours, J.C. van & Vodopivec, M., 2010.
"Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile,"
2010-04, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hartley, Gonzalo Reyes & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2011. "Incentive effects of unemployment insurance savings accounts: Evidence from Chile," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 798-809.
- Gonzalo Reyes Hartley & Jan C Van Ours & Milan Vodopivec, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," Working Papers 40, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Feb 2010.
- Reyes Hartley, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," IZA Discussion Papers 4681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Reyes, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," CEPR Discussion Papers 7632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Jensen, Kyle & Murray, Fiona, 2012. "Governing knowledge in the scientific community: Exploring the role of retractions in biomedicine," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 276-290.
- Matthieu Bunel & Yannick L'Horty, 2012.
"The Effects of Reduced Social Security Contributions on Employment: an Evaluation of the 2003 French Reform,"
- Mathieu Bunel & Yannick L'Horty, 2012. "The Effects of Reduced Social Security Contributions on Employment: An Evaluation of the 2003 French Reform," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 33(3), pages 371-398, 09.
- Duvendack, Maren & Palmer-Jones, Richard, 2011. "The microfinance of reproduction and the reproduction of microfinance: understanding the connections between microfinance, empowerment, contraception and fertility in Bangladesh in the 1990s," MPRA Paper 32384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "The impact of the occupations and economic activities on the gender wage gap using a counterfactual framework," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 22, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Qian, Yiwei & Nayga Jr., Rodolfo M. & Thomsen, Michael R. & Rouse, Heather, 2013. "The Effect of the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program on Childhood Obesity," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150778, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "Does the gender wage gap exist among male and female workers with similar human capital? A Coarsened Exact Matching for Chile between 1992 and 2009," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 19, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Gates, Scott & Hegre, Håvard & Nygård, Håvard Mokleiv & Strand, Håvard, 2012. "Development Consequences of Armed Conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1713-1722.
- Arpino, Bruno & Mattei, Alessandra, 2013. "Assessing the Impact of Financial Aids to Firms: Causal Inference in the presence of Interference," MPRA Paper 51795, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.