Financing Capacity On The Bottleneck Model
AbstractIt is well known that, for a congestible facility with a constant long-run average cost, the revenue from the unconstrained optimal toll (set so that each individual faces marginal (social) cost of a use) covers the cost of optimal capacity. This paper investigates under what circumstances the first-best pricing and investment rules apply when time variation of the toll is constrained, and when users differ in unobservable characteristics so that the same toll must be applied to heterogeneous users. Both the bottleneck model and the traditional flow congestion model are considered.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston College Department of Economics in its series Boston College Working Papers in Economics with number 222.
Date of creation: Dec 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard Arnott & Marvin Kraus, 1995. "Self-Financing of Congestible Facilities in a Growing Economy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 304., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Richard Arnott & Marvin Kraus, 1997.
"When are Anonymous Congestion Charges Consistent with Marginal Cost Pricing?,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
354., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard & Kraus, Marvin, 1998. "When are anonymous congestion charges consistent with marginal cost pricing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 45-64, January.
- Richard Arnott & Marvin Kraus, 1994. "When Are Anonymous Congestion Charges Consistent with Marginal Cost Pricing?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993.
"Pricing the Internet,"
20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Lindsey, Robin, 2009. "Cost recovery from congestion tolls with random capacity and demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 16-24, July.
- Takeshi Nagae & Takashi Akamatsu, 2006. "Dynamic Revenue Management of a Toll Road Project under Transportation Demand Uncertainty," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 345-357, September.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Walls, Margaret & Harrington, Winston, 2007.
"Automobile Externalities and Policies,"
dp-06-26, Resources For the Future.
- Xiao, Feng & Qian, Zhen (Sean) & Zhang, H. Michael, 2013. "Managing bottleneck congestion with tradable credits," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 1-14.
- Vincent A.C. van den Berg, 2013. "Coarse Tolling with Heterogeneous Preferences," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-120/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Adriaan Hendrik van der Weijde & Erik T. Verhoef & Vincent van den Berg, 2012.
"Competition in Multi-Modal Transport Networks: A Dynamic Approach,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-116/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- van der Weijde, Adriaan Hendrik & Verhoef, Erik T. & van den Berg, Vincent A.C., 2013. "Competition in multi-modal transport networks: A dynamic approach," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 31-44.
- Tan, Zhijia, 2012. "Capacity and toll choice of an add-on toll road under various ownership regimes," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1080-1092.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 2002. "A note on "highway pricing and capacity choice in a road network under a build-operate-transfer scheme"," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 659-663, August.
- Vincent van den Berg & Erik T. Verhoef, 2011. "Congesting Pricing in a Road and Rail Network with Heterogeneous Values of Time and Schedule Delay," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-059/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 May 2012.
- van den Berg, Vincent A.C., 2014. "Coarse tolling with heterogeneous preferences," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 1-23.
- Bichsel, Robert, 2001. "Should Road Users Pay the Full Cost of Road Provision?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 367-383, September.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 2000. "Highway pricing and capacity choice in a road network under a build-operate-transfer scheme," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 207-222, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.