Financial intermediation and the post-crisis financial system
AbstractSecuritization was meant to disperse credit risk to those who were better able to bear it. In practice, securitization appears to have concentrated the risks in the financial intermediary sector itself. This paper outlines an accounting framework for the financial system for assessing the impact of securitization on financial stability. If securitization leads to the lengthening of intermediation chains, then risks becomes concentrated in the intermediary sector with damaging consequences for financial stability. Covered bonds are one form of securitization that do not fall foul of this principle. I discuss the role of countercyclial capital requirements and the Spanish-style statistical provisioning in mitigating the harmful effects of lengthening intermediation chains.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 304.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
leverage; financial intermediation chains; financial stability;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-04-11 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-04-11 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2010-04-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-REG-2010-04-11 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- João Sousa & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2011.
"Asset Returns Under Model Uncertainty: Evidence from the euro area, the U.K. and the U.S,"
w201119, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Sousa, João & Sousa, Ricardo M., 2013. "Asset returns under model uncertainty: evidence from the euro area, the U.S. and the U.K," Working Paper Series 1575, European Central Bank.
- João Sousa & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2011. "Asset Returns Under Model Uncertainty: Eveidence from the euro area, the U.K and the U.S," NIPE Working Papers 21/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Finn Poschmann, 2011. "What Governments Should Do in Mortgage Markets," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 318, January.
- Cabral, Ricardo, 2013. "A perspective on the symptoms and causes of the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 103-117.
- Jörg Bibow, 2010. "Alternative Strategien der Budgetkonsolidierung in Österreich nach der Rezession," IMK Studies 03-2010, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.