An Overview of Carbon Markets and Emissions Trading: Lessons for Canada
AbstractThe author provides an overview of carbon markets and explains how emissions trading can be important in encouraging the reduction of CO2 emissions in an efficient manner. He describes the key steps in establishing a cap-and-trade system, and reviews the European experiences with emissions trading. He highlights the lessons learned from the EU Emissions Trading System on how to design a market that operates efficiently and effectively. By learning from the experience of other countries, Canada can avoid the uncertainty and volatility witnessed in carbon markets abroad while benefiting from an efficient trading mechanism that contributes to the welfare of all Canadians.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Discussion Papers with number 08-1.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
International topics; Market structure and pricing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
- Q21 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2008-02-02 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-02-02 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2008-02-02 (Resource Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bull, Lyndall & Thompson, Derek, 2011. "Developing forest sinks in Australia and the United States -- A forest owner's prerogative," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 311-317, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.