Public Pension Systems and the Fiscal Crisis in the Euro Zone. Lessons for Latin America
AbstractThe debt crisis in the Economic and Monetary Union has revealed the need in many member countries to engage in an unprecedented fiscal consolidation process, not only in the short term, but also in the long term. Therefore, the urgent need to accelerate in many cases the reforms of their pension systems with a view to ensuring the sustainability of their public finance over time has been revived. This paper analyzes the circumstances that led to the reforms of the pension systems in Europe and the measures adopted, with a view to extracting some lessons that may be of use for Latin American countries. With this objective, reforms undertaken in Latin America are also described, specifically in Colombia and Peru, which are two cases where the capitalization and distribution systems continue to compete simultaneously. This paper also quantifies and compares the actuarial balance of these countries, which is related to their financial sustainability in the long term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 1124.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
pensions; fiscal deficit; actuarial debt; Europe; Latin America;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2011-08-02 (Central & South America)
- NEP-MAC-2011-08-02 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Alonso & David Tuesta & Jasmina Bjeletic & Carlos Herrera & Soledad Hormazabal & Ivonne Ordonez & Carolina Romero, 2009. "Un balance de la inversion de los fondos de pensiones en infraestructura: la experiencia en Latinoamerica," Working Papers 0920, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Adolfo Albo & Juan Luis Ordaz Diaz, 2011. "La Migracion en Arizona y los efectos de la nueva Ley "SB-1070"," Working Papers 1116, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.