The Elusive Effects of Minimum Wages
AbstractThe main theme of David Card and Alan Krueger's book, "Myth and Measurement: The New Economics of the Minimum Wage", is that the data do not support the view that minimum wages reduce employment. The most important chapter considers data for the fast food industry, where it is suggested that recent minimum wage increases may actually have increased employment, contrary to the standard theorem that labor demand curves slope down. A more reasonable view of the evidence, in this book and in many other studies going back to 1915, is that the employment effects of minimum wages are small, and difficult to detect in the noisy data available.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems in its series Working papers with number 9512.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON, SOCIAL SYSTEMS RESEARCH INSTITUTE(S.S.R.I.), MADISON WISCONSIN 53706 U.S.A.
WAGES; MANPOWER; LABOUR MARKET; EMPLOYMENT;
Other versions of this item:
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roger E. Backhouse & Steven N. Durlauf, 2009. "Robbins on Economic Generalizations and Reality in the Light of Modern Econometrics," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(s1), pages 873-890, October.
- Kuddo, Arvo, 2009. "Labor laws in Eastern European and Central Asian countries : minimum norms and practices," Social Protection Discussion Papers 51698, The World Bank.
- Addison, John T. & Blackburn, McKinley L. & Cotti, Chad D., 2013.
"Minimum wage increases in a recessionary environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 30-39.
- John T. Addison & McKinley L. Blackburn & Chad D. Cotti, 2013. "Minimum Wage Increases in a Recessionary Environment," GEMF Working Papers 2013-08, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Oren M. Levin-Waldman, 1999. "The Minimum Wage and Regional Wage Structure: Implications for Income Distribution," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_267, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Oren M. Levin-Waldman, . "Do Institutions Affect the Wage Structure? Right-to-Work Laws, Unionization, and the Minimum Wage," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_57, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Marcus Dittrich, 2010. "Minimum Wages and Unemployment Benefits in a Unionized Economy: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 11(2), pages 209-229, November.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2099001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dessing, Maryke, 2004. "Implications for minimum-wage policies of an S-shaped labor-supply curve," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 543-568, April.
- Pierre Cahuc & Cette Gilbert & André Zylberberg, 2008. "Salaire minimum et bas revenus," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00638149, HAL.
- Gindling, T.H. & Terrell, Katherine, 2009. "Minimum wages, wages and employment in various sectors in Honduras," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Oren M. Levin-Waldman, 1996. "Exploring the Politics of the Minimum Wage," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_176, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:1999001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dittrich, Marcus, 2007. "Minimum Wages and Union Bargaining in a Dual Labour Market," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 13/07, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Frank Walsh, 2000. "Monopsony Power with Variable Effort," Working Papers 200023, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Madeline Zavodny, 1998. "Why minimum wage hikes may not reduce employment," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 2, pages 18-28.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00638149 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oren M. Levin-Waldman, . "Automatic Adjustment of the Minimum Wage, Linking the Minimum Wage to Productivity," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_42, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Laura Bucila, 2008. "Employment-Based Health Insurance and the Minimum Wage," Working Papers 0812, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Lin, Chung-Cheng & Yang, C. C., 2003. "Tournaments, minimum wage, and money non-neutrality," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 481-489, December.
- Bernhard Heitger, 2001. "Minimum Wages And Employment: The Case Of German Unification," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-15.
- Oren M. Levin-Waldman, 1997. "Linking the Minimum Wage to Productivity," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_219, Levy Economics Institute, The.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ailsenne Sumwalt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.