Production networks and failure avalanches
AbstractAlthough standard economics textbooks are seldom interested in production networks, modern economies are more and more based upon suppliers/customers interactions. One can consider entire sectors of the economy as generalised supply chains. We will take this view in the present paper and study under which conditions local failures to produce or simply to deliver can result in avalanches of shortage and bankruptcies across the network. We will show that a large class of models exhibit scale free distributions of production and wealth among firms and that metastable regions of high production are highly localised.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number physics/0507101.
Date of creation: Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gatti, Domenico Delli & Guilmi, Corrado Di & Gaffeo, Edoardo & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2005. "A new approach to business fluctuations: heterogeneous interacting agents, scaling laws and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 489-512, April.
- Stefano Battiston & Gérard Weisbuch & Eric Bonabeau, 2003. "Decision Spread In The Corporate Board Network," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 6(04), pages 631-644.
- Battiston, Stefano & Bonabeau, Eric & Weisbuch, Gérard, 2003. "Decision making dynamics in corporate boards," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 322(C), pages 567-582.
- Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Mézard, Marc, 2000. "Wealth condensation in a simple model of economy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 282(3), pages 536-545.
- K. Anand & T. Galla, 2009. "Stability and dynamical properties of material flow systems on random networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 68(4), pages 587-600, April.
- Tommaso Ciarli & Marco Valente, 2007. "Production Structure and Economic Fluctuations," LEM Papers Series 2007/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.