Finitely additive probabilities and the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing
AbstractThis work aims at a deeper understanding of the mathematical implications of the economically-sound condition of absence of arbitrages of the first kind in a financial market. In the spirit of the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing (FTAP), it is shown here that absence of arbitrages of the first kind in the market is equivalent to the existence of a finitely additive probability, weakly equivalent to the original and only locally countably additive, under which the discounted wealth processes become "local martingales". The aforementioned result is then used to obtain an independent proof of the FTAP of Delbaen and Schachermayer. Finally, an elementary and short treatment of the previous discussion is presented for the case of continuous-path semimartingale asset-price processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0911.5503.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kreps, David M., 1981. "Arbitrage and equilibrium in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 15-35, March.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Eckhard Platen, 2008.
"On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes,"
0803.1890, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
- Kardaras, Constantinos & Platen, Eckhard, 2011. "On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(11), pages 2678-2691, November.
- Loewenstein, Mark & Willard, Gregory A., 2000. "Rational Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Bubbles in Continuous Trading Models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 17-58, March.
- Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"A Benchmark Approach To Finance,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 131-151.
- (**), Hui Wang & Jaksa Cvitanic & (*), Walter Schachermayer, 2001. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets with random endowment," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 259-272.
Cited by:reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.