On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes
AbstractA financial market model where agents trade using realistic combinations of buy-and-hold strategies is considered. Minimal assumptions are made on the discounted asset-price process - in particular, the semimartingale property is not assumed. Via a natural market viability assumption, namely, absence of arbitrages of the first kind, we establish that discounted asset-prices have to be semimartingales. In a slightly more specialized case, we extend the previous result in a weakened version of the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing that involves strictly positive supermartingale deflators rather than Equivalent Martingale Measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0803.1890.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision: Nov 2009
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Kardaras, Constantinos & Platen, Eckhard, 2011. "On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(11), pages 2678-2691, November.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ioannis Karatzas & Constantinos Kardaras, 2007. "The numéraire portfolio in semimartingale financial models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 447-493, October.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"A Benchmark Approach to Finance,"
Research Paper Series
138, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Hasanjan Sayit, 2008.
"No Arbitrage Conditions For Simple Trading Strategies,"
0801.4047, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2009.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Hasanjan Sayit, 2010. "No arbitrage conditions for simple trading strategies," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 147-156, January.
- Dirk Becherer, 2001. "The numeraire portfolio for unbounded semimartingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341.
- Föllmer, Hans & Kramkov, D. O., 1997. "Optional decompositions under constraints," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kasper Larsen & Gordan Žitković, 2008. "On the semimartingale property via bounded logarithmic utility," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 255-268, March.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1997-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Fernholz & Ioannis Karatzas & Constantinos Kardaras, 2005. "Diversity and relative arbitrage in equity markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Tahir Choulli & Christophe Stricker & Jia Li, 2007. "Minimal Hellinger martingale measures of order q," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 399-427, July.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Eckhard Platen, 2008.
"Minimizing the Expected Market Time to Reach a Certain Wealth Level,"
Research Paper Series
230, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Eckhard Platen, 2009. "Minimizing the expected market time to reach a certain wealth level," Papers 0904.1903, arXiv.org.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Eckhard Platen, 2008. "Multiplicative approximation of wealth processes involving no-short-sale strategies via simple trading," Papers 0812.0033, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2010.
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2011. "On the closure in the Emery topology of semimartingale wealth-process sets," Papers 1108.0945, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2013.
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2009. "Finitely additive probabilities and the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing," Papers 0911.5503, arXiv.org.
- Mathias Beiglb\"ock & Walter Schachermayer & Bezirgen Veliyev, 2010. "A Direct Proof of the Bichteler--Dellacherie Theorem and Connections to Arbitrage," Papers 1004.5559, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.