Superstatistics of Labour Productivity in Manufacturing and Nonmanufacturing Sectors
AbstractLabour productivity distribution (dispersion) is studied both theoretically and empirically. Superstatistics is presented as a natural theoretical framework for productivity. The demand index $\kappa$ is proposed within this framework as a new business index. Japanese productivity data covering small-to-medium to large firms from 1996 to 2006 is analyzed and the power-law for both firms and workers is established. The demand index $\kappa$ is evaluated in the manufacturing sector. A new discovery is reported for the nonmanufacturing (service) sector, which calls for expansion of the superstatistics framework to negative temperature range.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0901.1500.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuichi Ikeda & Wataru Souma, 2008. "International Comparison of Labor Productivity Distribution for Manufacturing and Non-Manufacturing Firms," Papers 0812.0208, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2008.
- Masanao Aoki, . "Reconstructing Macroeconomics: A Perspective from Statistical Physics and Combinatorial Stochastic Processes," UCLA Economics Online Papers 390, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hawkins, Raymond J. & Aoki, Masanao & Roy Frieden, B., 2010. "Asymmetric information and macroeconomic dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(17), pages 3565-3571.
- Aoki, Masanao & Hawkins, Raymond J., 2010. "Non-self-averaging and the statistical mechanics of endogenous macroeconomic fluctuations," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1543-1546, November.
- Souma, Wataru & Ikeda, Yuichi & Iyetomi, Hiroshi & Fujiwara, Yoshi, 2009. "Distribution of Labour Productivity in Japan over the Period 1996-2006," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-2, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.