The Student ensemble of correlation matrices: eigenvalue spectrum and Kullback-Leibler entropy
AbstractWe study a new ensemble of random correlation matrices related to multivariate Student (or more generally elliptic) random variables. We establish the exact density of states of empirical correlation matrices that generalizes the Marcenko-Pastur result. The comparison between the theoretical density of states in the Student case and empirical financial data is surprisingly good, even if we are still able to detect systematic deviations. Finally, we compute explicitely the Kullback-Leibler entropies of empirical Student matrices, which are found to be independent of the true correlation matrix, as in the Gaussian case. We provide numerically exact values for these Kullback-Leibler entropies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0710.0802.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tumminello, Michele & Lillo, Fabrizio & Mantegna, Rosario N., 2010.
"Correlation, hierarchies, and networks in financial markets,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 40-58, July.
- M. Tumminello & F. Lillo & R. N. Mantegna, 2008. "Correlation, hierarchies, and networks in financial markets," Papers 0809.4615, arXiv.org.
- Pierre-Alain Reigneron & Romain Allez & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2010. "Principal Regression Analysis and the index leverage effect," Papers 1011.5810, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2011.
- Leonidas Sandoval Junior & Italo De Paula Franca, 2011. "Correlation of financial markets in times of crisis," Papers 1102.1339, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
- Sandoval, Leonidas & Franca, Italo De Paula, 2012. "Correlation of financial markets in times of crisis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(1), pages 187-208.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.