Financial integration, monetary policy and stock prices: Empirical evidence for the new EU member states
AbstractWe provide empirical evidence on the interaction between monetary policy and stock prices in 4 new EU member states of Central and Eastern Europe by estimating a small open economy macroeconometric model (SVAR) identified by means of short-run restrictions. Our modeling choices reflect the increasing integration between the NMS and the Euro Area. Our contributions are twofold. We analyze the monetary transmission mechanism through stock prices in the NMS and we determine the extent to which financial markets in the aforementioned countries are sensitive to euro area monetary policy actions. We conclude that stock prices in the NMS are more sensitive to changes in the Euro Area interest rate than to the domestic one. Only in the Czech Republic and Poland we find a significant negative effect of contractionary monetary policy on stock prices. Moreover, we find that the volatility of stock prices in the NMS is mainly due to shocks related to exchange rate and Euro Area monetary policy shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010024.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Monetary policy shocks; New EU members; Stock prices; Financial integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-11-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-11-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2010-11-13 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2010-11-13 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Yun Daisy & Iscan, Talan B. & Xu, Kuan, 2010.
"The impact of monetary policy shocks on stock prices: Evidence from Canada and the United States,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 876-896, September.
- Yun Daisy Li & Talan B. Iscan & Kuan Xu, 2007. "The Impact of Monetary Policy Shocks on Stock Prices: Evidence from Canada and the United States," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive stock_money19.pdf, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Alessio Anzuini & Aviram Levy, 2007. "Monetary policy shocks in the new EU members: a VAR approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(9), pages 1147-1161.
- Ioannidis, Christos & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2008. "The impact of monetary policy on stock prices," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 33-53.
- Elbourne, Adam & de Haan, Jakob, 2006. "Financial structure and monetary policy transmission in transition countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- Vasile Cocris & Anca Elena Nucu, 2013. "Monetary policy and financial stability: empirical evidence from Central and Eastern European countries," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 75-98, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.