The Malmquist productivity index and plant capacity utilisation
AbstractThis note proposes a new decomposition of the Malmquist productivity index to account for changes in plant capacity utilisation. Using a primal, non-parametric specification of technology, the Malmquist index is decomposed into technical efficiency change, variations in plant capacity utilisation, and frontier shifts. It provides an alternative to the available methods to incorporate capacity utilisation changes in measures of productivity change. The latter are based upon parametric (and, in many cases, dual) technology specifications; moreover, they typically do not allow for technical inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2000020.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2000. " The Malmquist Productivity Index and Plant Capacity Utilization," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 303-10, June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & De Borger, Bruno, 2009.
"Static Efficiency Decompositions and Capacity Utilisation: Integrating Economic and Technical Capacity Notions,"
2009/30, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2013. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3529-3529, August.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2012. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4125-4141, November.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Vierstraete, Valerie, 2004. "Technological change and efficiency in the presence of quasi-fixed inputs: A DEA application to the hospital sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 755-763, May.
- Torstein Bye & Annegrete Bruvoll & Jan Larsson, 2009.
"Capacity Utilization in a Generalized Malmquist Index Including Environmental Factors: A Decomposition Analysis,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(3), pages 529-538.
- Torstein Bye & Annegrete Bruvoll & Jan Larsson, 2006. "Capacity utilization in a generalized Malmquist index including environmental factors. A decomposition analysis," Discussion Papers 473, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Burda, Michael C & Severgnini, Battista, 2010.
"Solow Residuals without Capital Stocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W. Diewert & Kevin Fox, 2010. "Malmquist and Törnqvist productivity indexes: returns to scale and technical progress with imperfect competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(1), pages 73-95, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.