Qualitative Analysis Of Production And Hedging
AbstractThe analysis is concerned with a producer who has three alternative marketing outlets for a seasonal perishable product. He can sell in a spot market when production is completed, he can contract for future delivery at a fixed price, he can plan to deliver on the spot market while holding a futures market hedge during the production period, or he can elect some combination of these outlets. Circumstances which lead to different combinations of outlets being used are indicated. A result of some generality is that if the certain forward price is high enough for this outlet to be used, then total output is the same as if this were the only alternative. The price at which this outlet is used is noted. Earlier treatments had noted the result in narrower contexts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 13765.
Date of creation: 1983
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hildreth, Clifford & Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1977. "A note on dependence between a venture and a current prospect," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 381-391, August.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Holthausen, Duncan M, 1979. "Hedging and the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 989-95, December.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1978. "Information, futures prices, and stabilizing speculation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 79-98, February.
- Hildreth, Clifford & Knowles, Glenn J., 1982. "Some Estimates of Farmers' Utility Functions," Technical Bulletins 54545, University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1981.
"Dynamic investment, risk aversion, and foresight sensitivity,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 65-96, November.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1981. "Dynamic Investment, Risk Aversion, and Foresight Sensitivity," Staff General Research Papers 11217, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.