Effects of Soybean Checkoff Research Expenditures on U.S. Soybean Yields and Net Revenue: A Time Series Analysis
AbstractStatistical methods are used to study relationships between research expenditures (adjusted for inflation) made from producer checkoff programs and soybean yields and net revenues in the United States for the years 1978 – 2007. Results presented are for yield and net revenue data and research expenditures for the entire United States. We find that research expenditures over the years 1994 to 2007 are responsible for a 0.95 bushel per acre per year increase in soybean yields. We calculate net producer revenues to be about $17 per acre higher than would have been the case without the soybean research checkoff expenditures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Texas A&M University, Agribusiness, Food, and Consumer Economics Research Center in its series Reports with number 90494.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 450 Blocker Building, 2124 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-2124
Phone: (979) 845-5913
Fax: (979) 845-3140
Web page: http://afcerc.tamu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Soybean; Soybean Checkoff; Soybean Yields; Crop Production/Industries; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geweke, John & Meese, Richard, 1981.
"Estimating regression models of finite but unknown order,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 162-162, May.
- Geweke, John F & Meese, Richard, 1981. "Estimating Regression Models of Finite but Unknown Order," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Williams, Gary W. & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Bessler, David A., 2009. "Is the Soybean Checkoff Program Working?," Reports 90495, Texas A&M University, Agribusiness, Food, and Consumer Economics Research Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.