On The Choice Of Functional Forms In The Measurement Of Scale And Scope Economies: Generalized Box-Cox And Composite Cost Functions
AbstractThis paper estimates and compares generalized Box-Cox and composite cost functions to identify scale and scope economies. The robustness of the outcomes to different functional specifications was examined. Increasing returns to scale was common for product-specific and the overall measures. Generalized Leontief and composite forms yielded more robust elasticity, scale and scope measures. The generalized Box-Cox model was selected as the appropriate functional form as all the special cases were rejected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama with number 35057.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Tretheway, Michael W, 1980. "Flexible Cost Functions for Multiproduct Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 477-81, August.
- Pulley, Lawrence B & Humphrey, David B, 1993. "The Role of Fixed Costs and Cost Complementarities in Determining Scope Economies and the Cost of Narrow Banking Proposals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(3), pages 437-62, July.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Khaled, Mohammed S, 1979. "Parametric Productivity Measurement and Choice among Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1220-45, December.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moss, Charles B., 1993. "Measuring Economies of Scale and Scope in Agricultural Banking," Proceedings: 1993 Regional Committee NC-207, October 4-5, 1993, Chicago, Illinois 131339, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Pulley, Lawrence B & Braunstein, Yale M, 1992. "A Composite Cost Function for Multiproduct Firms with an Application to Economies of Scope in Banking," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 221-30, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.