The Effects of Domestic Offset Programs on the Cotton Market
AbstractThis paper analyzed the effects of the U.S. domestic offset program on the world cotton markets using a partial equilibrium model following the assumption given by Brown et al. (2010). The results in our study are largely similar to those of Baker et al. and Brown et al., confirming that study’s findings that ACES, and its domestic offset program in particular, would cause increases in the domestic prices of several agricultural commodities. However, the overall effects of this increase in the world price on total world trade is tempered by increased exports from India, Brazil, Uzbekistan, Australia, and Western & Central African countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2011 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2011, Corpus Christi, Texas with number 98557.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
offset program; cotton; Agricultural and Food Policy; International Relations/Trade; Q170; Q180;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-04-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-04-16 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tristan Brown & Amani Elobeid & Jerome Dumortier & Dermot J. Hayes, 2010.
"Market Impact of Domestic Offset Programs,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
10-wp502, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Tristan Brown & Amani Elobeid & Jerome Dumortier & Dermot J. Hayes, 2010. "Market Impact of Domestic Offset Programs," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 10-wp502, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.