Productivity Growth, Technology Progress, And Efficiency Change In Chinese Agricultural Production From 1984 To 1993
AbstractThis study applies a Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) approach to analyze total factor productivity, technology, and efficiency changes in Chinese agricultural production from 1984 to 1993. Twenty- nine provinces in China were classified into advanced-technology and low-technology categories. The Malmquist productivity measures were decomposed into two components: technical change index and efficiency change index. The results showed that total factor productivity has risen in most provinces for both technology categories. Technical progress has been the most important factor to Chinese agricultural productivity growth since 1984 and will remain crucial to productivity growth in low-technology provinces. Low efficiency in many important agricultural provinces indicates a great potential for China to increase productivity through improving technical efficiency. Continuously expanding market economy and enhancing rural education may also help farmers to improve technical efficiency and productivity in agricultural production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics in its series Agricultural Economics Reports with number 23442.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Chinese agriculture; Total Factor Productivity (TFP); technology; technical efficiency; Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA).; Productivity Analysis; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Travers, Lee & Ma, Jun, 1994. "Agricultural productivity and rural poverty in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 141-159.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Putterman, Louis & Chiacu, Ana F., 1994. "Elasticities and factor weights for agricultural growth accounting: A look at the data for China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 191-204.
- Jirong Wang & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Shadow-Price Frontier Measurement of Profit Efficiency in Chinese Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 146-156.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Gaynor, Martin & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Productivity consequences of alternative land division methods in China's decollectivization An econometric analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 357-386, December.
- Arnade, Carlos A., 1994. "Using Data Envelopment Analysis to Measure International Agricultural Efficiency and Productivity," Technical Bulletins 156761, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Carlos Arnade, 1998. "Using a Programming Approach to Measure International Agricultural Efficiency and Productivity," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 67-84.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.