The Effect Of Exchange Rate Volatility On Wheat Trade Worldwide
AbstractA modified gravity-type model was employed to evaluate the effect of exchange rate volatility on wheat exports worldwide. Special attention was given to the econometric properties of the gravity model within a panel framework. Short and long-term measures of exchange rate volatility were constructed and compared. Both measures of exchange rate volatility exhibited negative effects on world wheat trade, with even greater effects in the long-term measure. This result implies that exchange rate volatility is an important factor in explaining the trade pattern of wheat worldwide.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics in its series Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report with number 23579.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
wheat; export; exchange rate; volatility; gravity model; and panel data.; International Relations/Trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Sun, Changyou & Kim, Mina & Koo, Won W. & Cho, Guedae & Jin, Hyun Joung, 2002. "The Effect Of Exchange Rate Volatility On Wheat Trade Worldwide," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19766, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, Jozsef, 2011.
"On Trade Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility and Institutional Quality: The Case of Central European Countries,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, Jozsef, 2012. "On Trade Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility and Institutional Quality: The Case of Central European Countries," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122510, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhang, Qiang & Reed, Michael R., 2006. "The Impact of Multiple Volatilities on Import Demand for U.S. Grain: The Case of Soybeans," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21079, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Molina, Imelda R. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Pede, Valerien O. & Valera, Harold, 2013. "Modeling the Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Thai Rice Exports," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150429, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.