Il quadro normativo sulle denominazioni commerciali dei prodotti ittici nella gestione delle frodi: strumento di gestione o problema irrisolto?
AbstractAuthors suppose the amounts of fraudulent seafood sales reported in recent years to be somehow correlated to the problems of Italian commercial fish-naming policy. However, given the lack of data and studies, the work has an exploratory nature focusing on three main issues: the seafood labeling policy framework, the evolution of lists of fish species’ trade names and the spread and type of fraudulent sales. According data authors believe that the fish-naming system is improving, however that lack of studies estimating the right amount of diversification in trade names for marine species seems so to be a weakness for a winning policy. Furthermore, seafood retailers seems to assume an important role on fraud management and government should support research for innovative species detection methods to be applied directly in retailers quality insurance systems. This would be a win-win strategy, preventing fraudulent behaviour and reducing the costs for public inspections.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA) in its series 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa with number 130452.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://digilander.libero.it/aissa1/societa/societa_siea.html
More information through EDIRC
Fish products; labeling; consumer protection; research perspectives; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; International Relations/Trade; L15; Q18; Q22;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- Jacquet, Jennifer L. & Pauly, Daniel, 2008. "Trade secrets: Renaming and mislabeling of seafood," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 309-318, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.