Pitfalls Of Projects-Driven Institutional Development In Developing Countries: The Case Of Privatisation Of Agricultural Services In Benin
AbstractUnderstanding how local stakeholders participate in designing and implementing development projects is important to improve their effectiveness. This study used three case studies of privatisation reform of agricultural research and extension in Benin, to analyse recent trends in the participation of farmers, public and private organisations in implementing and designing reforms. Thematic and comparative analyses were performed on qualitative data collected during direct observation and semi-structured interviews with different stakeholders. The finding indicated that although participation was generally considered as requirement for developing high quality services, its importance in designing appropriate service delivery and funding reforms was underestimated or ignored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA) in its series 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 with number 133046.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Agricultural research and extension; Benin; Development project; Privatisation; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Teaching/Communication/Extension/Profession;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-10-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2012-10-13 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bierschenk, Thomas & Elwert, Georg & Kohnert, Dirk, 1991. "The long-term effects of development aid - Empirical studies in rural West Africa," MPRA Paper 4217, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1993.
- Andrew S. Natsios, 2006. "Five Debates on International Development: The US Perspective," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(2), pages 131-139, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.