U.S. Consumers’ Preference and Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin-Labeled Beef Steak and Food Safety Enhancements
AbstractThe mandatory Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) troubles beef exporters to the U.S. This study evaluates the extent that U.S. consumers are receptive to imported steak and their perception of food safety level of beef from various countries. In addition, using conjoint analysis, willingness to pay for strip loin steak from Australia, Canada and the United States is estimated along with several increasingly important food safeties and quality attributes in beef. We find that on average U.S. consumers are willing to pay significantly less for imported steaks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with number 103385.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
beef; consumer preferences; country-of-origin labeling; conjoint experiment; willingness to pay; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Consumer/Household Economics; Demand and Price Analysis; International Relations/Trade; Livestock Production/Industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Kar H. Lim & Wuyang Hu & Leigh J. Maynard & Ellen Goddard, 2013. "U.S. Consumers’ Preference and Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin-Labeled Beef Steak and Food Safety Enhancements," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 61(1), pages 93-118, 03.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Sang Hyeon & Lee, Ji Yong & Han, Doo Bong & Nayga, Rodolfo M. Jr, 2013. "Assessing Korean Consumers’ Valuation for BSE Tested and Country of Origin Labeled Beef Products," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149615, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bremmers, Harry J., 2012. "An Integrated Analysis of Food Information to Consumers:," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144985, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Kirsten, Johann F. & Vermeulen, Hester & Van Zyl, Karlien & Du Randt, Gerrie & Du Plessis, H. & Weissnar, Tessa, 2012. "The economic potential for an origin based marketing and certification system for a meat product in South Africa: Perceptions, preferences, and experiments," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125764, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhou, Guzhen & Hu, Wuyang & Schieffer, Jack & Robbins, Lynn, 2013. "Public Acceptance of and Willingness to Pay for Nanofood: Case of Canola Oil," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149662, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.