Modeling Changes In The U.S. Demand For Crop Insurance During The 1990s
AbstractThe crop insurance purchase decision for a group of Kansas farmers is analyzed using data from 1990sa period that experienced many changes in the federal crop insurance program. Farm-level data are used. Results indicate a reduction in the elasticity of the demand for crop insurance with respect to premium rates by the end of the decade. This corresponded with a considerable increase in government subsidies by the end of the 1990s. This may also reflect the attractiveness of new revenue insurance products that may have made producers less sensitive to premium changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22019.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Risk and Uncertainty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-fei & Maddala, G S & Trost, R P, 1980. "Asymptotic Covariance Matrices of Two-Stage Probit and Two-Stage Tobit Methods for Simultaneous Equations Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 491-503, March.
- Shaik, Saleem & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E. & Patrick, George F., 2008. "Crop Revenue and Yield Insurance Demand: A Subjective Probability Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(03), December.
- Claassen, Roger & Lubowski, Ruben N. & Roberts, Michael J., 2005. "Extent, Location, and Characteristics of Land Cropped Due to Insurance Subsidies," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19546, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ginder, Matthew G. & Spaulding, Aslihan D., 2006. "Factors Affecting Crop Insurance Purchase Decisions in Northern Illinois," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21073, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Capitanio, Fabian & Adinolfi, Felice, 2011. "Natural Vs Financial Insurance in the Management of Weather Risk Exposure in the Italian Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114325, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Sentis, P., 2008.
"The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Patrick Sentis, 2008. "The main determinants of insurance purchase. An empirical study on crop insurance policies in France," Working Papers 08-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Apr 2008.
- Lee, Dong Won & Diersen, Matthew A. & Janssen, Larry & Gustafson, Cole R., 2006. "Premium Subsidy Changes and Demand for Crop Insurance," Proceedings: 2006 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 2-3, 2006; Washington, DC 133086, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.