Trade And Welfare Effects Of Dairy Price Support Measures
AbstractAnalysis with a stylised model of milk price determination shows that on a dollar for dollar basis it is theoretically possible for milk price support resulting from discriminatory pricing to be as or even more trade distorting than milk price support resulting from explicit trade intervention in dairy product markets. Numerical results suggest that this result depends mainly on the initial trading status of the country in question. However, other parameters, especially the relative elasticities of demand for fluid versus manufacturing milk also matter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 21951.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural and Food Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buxton, Boyd M., 1977. "A Framework For Evaluating The Economic Impact Of Classified Pricing Of Milk," Staff Papers 13884, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L. & Requillart, Vincent, 2002.
"Price Discrimination and EU Dairy Policy: An Economic Evaluation of Policy Options,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Z. & Chavas, J.P. & Cox, T. & Réquillart, V., 2001. "Price discrimination and EU dairy policy : an economic evaluation of policy options," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 23, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Helmberger, Peter G. & Chen, Yu-Hui, 1994. "Economic Effects Of U.S. Dairy Programs," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Ippolito, Richard A & Masson, Robert T, 1978. "The Social Cost of Government Regulation of Milk," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-65, April.
- Thomas L. Cox & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2001. "An Interregional Analysis of Price Discrimination and Domestic Policy Reform in the U.S. Dairy Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 89-106.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.