The Ralph Report Depreciation Proposals and Investment Neutrality
AbstractThe Review of Business Taxation chaired by Mr John Ralph has suggested sweeping changes to business taxation in Australia. In particular it has been proposed that accelerated depreciation provisions be removed to finance a reduction in the company tax rate. If some degree of accelerated depreciation is to be retained, it is suggested that this should involve a uniform loading on depreciation rates for all assets. The aim is to provide a more uniform treatment of assets with different economic lives. This paper examines the neutrality of these proposals for unincorporated enterprises and companies owned by Australian shareholders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics in its series ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics with number 1999-371.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: May 1999
Date of revision:
TAXATION ; COPORATE TAXATION ; INVESTMENTS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benge, Matt, 1998. "Depreciation Provisions and Investment Incentives under Full Imputation," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(227), pages 329-45, December.
- Benge, M., 1999. "Marginal Excess Burdens of Taxes on Capital and on Labour Income in a Small Open Economy," Papers 364, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Kopcke, Richard W, 1981. "Inflation, Corporate Income Taxation, and the Demand for Capital Assets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(1), pages 122-31, February.
- King, Mervyn A, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35, January.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Martin Feldstein, 1980.
"Inflation and the Choice of Asset Life,"
NBER Working Papers
0253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.