Trygve Haavelmo’s visit in Aarhus 1938-39
AbstractTrygve Haavelmo spent the academic year 1938/39 at the University of Aarhus as a teacher in statistics. He would immediately after his Aarhus stay leave for the United States, where he completed The Probability Approach in Econometrics (1944) and later worked at the Cowles Commission before returning to Norway in 1947. The purpose of the paper has been to assess whether Haavelmo in Aarhus was already on a path towards the Probability Approach or, as suggested in the history of econometrics literature, this path did not really open up until Haavelmo came to the U.S.A. and got converted to probability reasoning. The paper gives a survey of Haavelmo’s papers and other work while in Aarhus. The evidence indicates that Haavelmo had adopted probability ideas by the time he was in Aarhus and seemed well prepared to embark on his magnum opus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2007-40.
Date of creation: 26 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Economic history; the probability approach in econometrics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B23 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Econometrics; Quantitative and Mathematical Studies
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-06-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-HIS-2008-06-27 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2008-06-27 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 2005. "Frisch'S Econometric Laboratory And The Rise Of Trygve Haavelmo'S Probability Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 491-533, June.
- Haavelmo, Trygve, 1989.
"Econometrics and the Welfare State,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents, Nobel Prize Committee
1989-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Niels KÃ¦rgÃ¥rd, 2012. "Haavelmo and Denmark," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 37, pages 6.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.