Costs and Challenges of Local Urban Services: Evidence from India's Cities
AbstractWith increasing urbanization, rural-urban migration and associated problems have received a lot of attention in the literature and policy making. However, the question that remains unaddressed is whether India is over-urbanized in relation to the level of its development. If so, how can we identify this phenomenon more systematically? This study examines the provision of infrastructure in India's urban areas by examining the costs of providing these services. The authors estimate marginal costs of water supply, and compare these marginal costs with the user prices actually charged in various Indian cities. The authors also argue that under-spending in the case of several local urban services might explain poor service delivery in India's cities. They analyse the challenges in reform of service delivery in the context of developing countries, using case studies of Ludhiana (Punjab) and Rajkot (Gujarat). The effort is to study the challenges to service delivery, identify the bottlenecks in reform, and analyse means to improve and reform service delivery in these cities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780198060840 and published in 2009.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharam & Wan, Guanghua, 2007.
"Firm Location Choice in Cities: Evidence from China, India, and Brazil,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharam & Wan, Guanghua, 2010. "Firm location choice in cities: Evidence from China, India, and Brazil," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 113-122, March.
- Sridhar, Kala S. & Kumar, Surender, 2012. "India’s urban environment: air and water pollution and pollution abatement," MPRA Paper 43810, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.