HDR 2000 - Human Rights and Human Development
AbstractHuman rights and human development share a common vision and a common purpose—to secure, for every human being, freedom, well-being and dignity. Divided by the cold war, the rights agenda and development agenda followed parallel tracks. Now converging, their distinct strategies and traditions can bring new strength to the struggle for human freedom. Human Development Report 2000 looks at human rights as an intrinsic part of development—and at development as a means to realizing human rights. It shows how human rights bring principles of accountability and social justice to the process of human development. Achieving rights for all people in all countries will require action and commitment from the major players in society. Tracing the struggle for human rights as common to all people, the Report concludes that the advances in the 21st century will be won by confronting entrenched economic and political interests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Report (1990 to present) with number hdr2000 and published in 2000.
human development; human rights; human freedom; globalisation; civil society;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A0 - General Economics and Teaching - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- K0 - Law and Economics - - General
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- Y1 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Data: Tables and Charts
- Y8 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Related Disciplines
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tan, Judy Y. & Huedo-Medina, Tania B. & Warren, Michelle R. & Carey, Michael P. & Johnson, Blair T., 2012. "A meta-analysis of the efficacy of HIV/AIDS prevention interventions in Asia, 1995–2009," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(4), pages 676-687.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.