Individuals and Identity in Economics
AbstractThis book examines the different conceptions of the individual that have emerged in recent new approaches in economics, including behavioral economics, experimental economics, social preferences approaches, game theory, neuroeconomics, evolutionary and complexity economics, and the capability approach. These conceptions are classified according to whether they seek to revise the traditional atomist individual conception, put new emphasis on interaction and relations between individuals, account for individuals as evolving and self-organizing, and explain individuals in terms of capabilities. The method of analysis uses two identity criteria for distinguishing and re-identifying individuals to determine whether these different individual conceptions successfully identify individuals. Successful individual conceptions account for sub-personal and supra-personal bounds on single individual explanations. The former concerns the fragmentation of individuals into multiple selves; the latter concerns the dissolution of individuals into the social. The book develops an understanding of bounded individuality, seen as central to the defense of human rights.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521173537 and published in 2010.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dorian Jullien & Nicolas Vallois, 2012. "A Probabilistic Ghost in the Experimental Machine," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-05, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Ronnie Schöb, 2013.
"Unemployment and Identity,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 59(1), pages 149-180, March.
- Robert Urquhart, 2012. "The price of the market: pursuit of self-interest as annihilation of self," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 59(4), pages 431-457, December.
- Király, Gábor, 2014.
"A közgazdaságtan és a szociológia határán - az identitás-gazdaságtan által felvetett elméleti kérdések
[On the borders of economics and sociology. Theoretical questions raised by identi," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 92-107.
- Ritxar Arlegi & Miriam Teschl, 2012. "A Theory of Choice under Internal Conflict," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 1208, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.