Tourism and sustainable development: an analysis of policy and guidelines for managing provision and consumption
AbstractThis paper reviews some of the literature and guidance provided for businesses considering responses to the environmental aspects and impacts of their tourist activities. It concentrates on the role of individual business organizations within the tourism industry and examines both supply-side (production) and demand-side (consumption) policies. In its review of a number of guidelines the paper attempts to make recommendations for improving both the provision of tourism services through supply chain management and destination management, and the education of the consumer in ways which make tourism more consistent with the concept of sustainable development. This emphasizes the need for businesses involved in tourism provision not only to look at the supply side and the demand side of their activities but also to provide stronger signals between the two parts so that more meaningful progress is made towards sustainable tourism. It places considerable emphasis on the role of intermediaries in bridging the gap between demand and supply. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 7 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seldjan Timur & Donald Getz, 2009. "Sustainable tourism development: how do destination stakeholders perceive sustainable urban tourism?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(4), pages 220-232.
- Jason Eligh & Richard Welford & Bjarne Ytterhus, 2002. "The production of sustainable tourism: concepts and examples from Norway," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 223-234.
- Nevin Akpinar & İlkden Talay & Coşkun Ceylan & Sultan Gündüz, 2005. "Rural women and agrotourism in the context of sustainable rural development: A case study from Turkey," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 473-486, January.
- Albert Achudume, 2009. "Environmental health, development and economic empowerment of rural women in Nigeria," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 459-469, April.
- Calum Macleod & Rune Todnem By, 2007. "Performance, conformance and change: towards a sustainable tourism strategy for Scotland," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 329-342.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.