Shareholder activism for corporate social responsibility: what do we know?
AbstractThere is a growing body of research on shareholder activism for corporate social and environmental responsibility. This paper maps and synthesizes research on this topic during 1983-2007. Five key themes emerge. (1) Several studies address shareholder proposals in the US, including proposal topics, voting results, and typical targets for such activism. (2) Other studies focus on the effects of shareholder activism on corporate policy and practice. Further, studies have been conducted on shareholder activism by (3) NGOs, (4) unions and (5) pension funds respectively. Based on this review, missing perspectives are identified and suggestions are made for future research directions. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yohanes E. Riyanto & Linda A. Toolsema, 2007. "Corporate Social Responsibility in a Corporate Governance Framework," Departmental Working Papers wp0702, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Paula Tkac, 2006. "One proxy at a time : pursuing social change through shareholder proposals," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 3, pages 1-20.
- Emma Sjöström, 2010. "Shareholders as Norm Entrepreneurs for Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(2), pages 177-191, June.
- Siti Sakinah Azizan & Rashid Ameer, 2012. "Shareholder activism in family-controlled firms in Malaysia," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(8), pages 774-794.
- Patricia Crifo & Vanina Forget, 2012. "The Economics of Corporate Social Responsibility: A Survey," Working Papers hal-00720640, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.