An index of sustainable economic welfare for Poland
AbstractThe index of sustainable economic welfare (ISEW) developed by HE Daly and JB Cobb Jr is an attempt to create a measure of sustainable development. In this paper, we have computed the ISEW for Poland for the years 1980-97. It turns out that after some fluctuations in 1980-85, a decline of the index in 1986-90 is observed. The ISEW reached its lowest values in 1989-90. Up to 1995, we can observe a growth dynamic at the beginning and falling in succeeding years, which eventually shows a tendency back downward that started in 1996. It seems that the recent decrease in ISEW can be attributed to categories such as long-term environmental damage, ozone layer depletion, losses caused by commuting and road accidents. Moreover, growing welfare inequalities penalize the value of ISEW in recent years much more significantly than before. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. and ERP Environment
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 11 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pulselli, Federico M. & Bravi, Mirko & Tiezzi, Enzo, 2012. "Application and use of the ISEW for assessing the sustainability of a regional system: A case study in Italy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 766-778.
- Posner, Stephen M. & Costanza, Robert, 2011. "A summary of ISEW and GPI studies at multiple scales and new estimates for Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and the State of Maryland," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 1972-1980, September.
- Federico Maria Pulselli & Francesca Ciampalini & Enzo Tiezzi & Carlo Zappia, 2005.
"The Index of Sustainable Economic Welfare (ISEW) for a Local Authority: A Case Study in Italy,"
Department of Economics University of Siena, Department of Economics, University of Siena
449, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Pulselli, Federico Maria & Ciampalini, Francesca & Tiezzi, Enzo & Zappia, Carlo, 2006. "The index of sustainable economic welfare (ISEW) for a local authority: A case study in Italy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 271-281, November.
- Kubiszewski, Ida & Costanza, Robert & Franco, Carol & Lawn, Philip & Talberth, John & Jackson, Tim & Aylmer, Camille, 2013. "Beyond GDP: Measuring and achieving global genuine progress," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 57-68.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.