Generic competition and market exclusivity periods in pharmaceuticals
AbstractIn this paper we examine generic competition and market exclusivity periods for pharmaceuticals experiencing their initial generic entry between 1995 and 2005. We find that generic competition has increased over several dimensions. First, an increasing number of drugs are subject to generic entry, including drugs with relatively modest annual average sales. Second, drugs with larger sales attract more generic entrants and have shorter market exclusivity periods than smaller selling drugs. Third, blockbuster drugs with annual sales in excess of $1 billion have experienced significant decreases in their market exclusivity periods in recent years. We also find that Hatch-Waxman Act patent challenges have negatively affected market exclusivity periods over the 1995 to 2005 period. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4-5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Other versions of this item:
- Grabowski, Henry & Kyle, Margaret, 2007. "Generic Competition and Market Exclusivity Periods in Pharmaceuticals," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiona M. Scott Morton, 1999. "Entry Decisions in the Generic Pharmaceutical Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 421-440, Autumn.
- David Reiffen & Michael R. Ward, 2005. "Generic Drug Industry Dynamics," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 37-49, February.
- Grabowski, Henry G & Vernon, John M, 1992. "Brand Loyalty, Entry, and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals after the 1984 Drug Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 331-50, October.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Hansen, Ronald W. & Grabowski, Henry G., 2003. "The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 151-185, March.
- Hemphill, C. Scott & Sampat, Bhaven N., 2012. "Evergreening, patent challenges, and effective market life in pharmaceuticals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 327-339.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Michael F. Furukawa, 2011. "Cross-National Evidence on Generic Pharmaceuticals: Pharmacy vs. Physician-Driven Markets," NBER Working Papers 17226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst & Dubois, Pierre, 2012.
"Impacts of Patent Expiry and Regulatory Policies on Daily Cost of Pharmaceutical Treatments: OECD Countries, 2004-2010,"
TSE Working Papers
12-283, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Berndt, Ernst & Dubois, Pierre, 2012. "Impacts of Patent Expiry and Regulatory Policies on Daily Cost of Pharmaceutical Treatments: OECD Countries, 2004-2010," IDEI Working Papers 702, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Filson, Darren & Oweis, Ahmed, 2010. "The impacts of the rise of Paragraph IV challenges on startup alliance formation and firm value in the pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 575-584, July.
- Magazzini Laura & Fabio Pammolli, 2013. "R&D, Within and Between Patent Competition in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Working Papers 3/2013, IMT Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca, revised Jul 2013.
- Eric Budish & Benjamin N. Roin & Heidi Williams, 2013. "Do fixed patent terms distort innovation? Evidence from cancer clinical trials," NBER Working Papers 19430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ind:iispdp:11-02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee G. Branstetter & Chirantan Chatterjee & Matthew Higgins, 2011. "Regulation and Welfare: Evidence from Paragraph IV Generic Entry in the Pharmaceutical Industry," NBER Working Papers 17188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Appelt, Silvia, 2010. "Authorized Generic Entry prior to Patent Expiry: Reassessing Incentives for Independent Generic Entry," Discussion Papers in Economics 11476, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.