Strengthening Public Financial Management in Postconflict Countries
AbstractUnderstanding how to rebuild resilient states in postconflict countries is an urgent priority for the international community. A new cross-country study of public financial management reforms in postconflict situations shows that substantial progress is possible even in difficult circumstances, while showing a pattern of sequencing and progress that differs from standard assumptions. However, the impact on state building remains less than what might be hoped. That impact could be strengthened by persistently targeting sustainable capacity, challenging areas such as procurement, greater public awareness, and more rapid coverage of line ministries and subnational levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The World Bank in its journal Economic Premise.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 54 (April)
conflict; post-conflict countries; fragile states; public management; finacial; reforms; governance; state building; civil service; World Bank;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F5 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy
- F51 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Conflicts; Negotiations; Sanctions
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Tareq, Shamsuddin & Clements, Benedict & Segura-Ubiergo, Alex & Bhattacharya, Rina, 2007. "Postconflict Countries: Strategy for Rebuilding Fiscal Institutions," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Allen, Richard & Grigoli, Francesco, 2012.
"Enhancing the Capability of Central Finance Agencies,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 73, pages 1-7, January.
- Richard Allen & Francesco Grigoli, 2012. "Enhancing the Capability of Central Finance Agencies," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10061, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Jelenic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.