The Demand for School Lunches: An Analysis of Individual Participation in the School Lunch Program
AbstractIn this paper we analyze participation in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) using a basic neoclassical demand model. This statistical analysis incorporates nutrient consumption from nonlunch sources to control explicitly for tastes. Because the dependent variable takes only four values, the ordered probit estimation technique is used. The insights gained concerning the effects of tastes, the size of the Food Stamp program bonus, and the price of the school lunch, among others, should prove useful in designing future NSLP policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 18 (1983)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Diego Medici, 2012. "The demand for school meals: an analysis of stated choices by Swiss households," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano, USI UniversitÃ della Svizzera italiana 1204, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Grainger, Corbett & Senauer, Benjamin & Runge, C. Ford, 2005. "Analyzing Health Innovations in a School Lunch Program," Working Papers, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy 14393, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Pham, Matthew V. & Roe, Brian E., 2013. "Will Reducing the Calorie Content of School Lunches Affect Participation? Evidence from a Choice Experiment with Suburban Parents," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C., Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 149816, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chang, Hung-Hao, 2014. "Food Preparation for the School Lunch Program and Body Weight of Elementary School Children in Taiwan," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 17(1).
- Holford, Angus, 2012. "Take-up of Free School Meals: price effects and peer effects," ISER Working Paper Series 2012-12, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.