Financial development and growth: where do we stand?
AbstractIn spite of the recent theoretical and empirical work that suggests that financial Systems exert a first-order, causal impact on economic growth, economists are still not very able of providing policy makers with detailed blueprints of how to create growth-promoting financial systems. The profession has only recently assembled broad cross-country data on financial structure and taken initial steps on comparing bank-based and market-based systems. This paper selectively reviews evidence on banks, markets, and financial structure. In terms of banks, the paper discusses why bans emerge, what they do, and how they affect economic performance. Next, it discusses evidence on the legal, accounting, and regulatory determinants of healthy banking development. The evidence suggests that legal and regulatory reforms that strengthen creditor rights, contract enforcement, and accounting practices boost banking sector development and accelerate economic growth. The paper next examines the impact of stock markets
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 1999 (December)
Financial development; growth.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicola Fuchs-Schündeln & Norbert Funke, 2003. "Stock market liberalizations: Financial and macroeconomic implications," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 730-761, December.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2002.
"Financial Development, Property Rights and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2003. "Financial Development, Property Rights, and Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2401-2436, December.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2002. "Financial development, property rights, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2924, The World Bank.
- Jürgen Eichberger & Willy Spanjers, 2007.
"Liquidity and Ambiguity: Banks or Asset Markets?,"
0444, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2007.
- S Griffith-Jones (IDS, University of Sussex) and J Leape (LSE), . "Capital Flows to developing countries: does the emperor have clothes?," QEH Working Papers qehwps89, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002.
"Explaining the migration of stocks from exchanges in emerging economies to international centers,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2816, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002. "Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2002. "Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres," CEPR Discussion Papers 3301, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Antwi & Ebenezer Fiifi Emire Atta Mills & Xicang Zhao, 2013. "Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on Economic Growth in Ghana: A Cointegration Analysis," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 35-45, January.
- Matias Braun & Borja Larrain, 2004.
"Finance and the Business Cycle: International, Inter-industry Evidence,"
- Matías Braun & Borja Larrain, 2005. "Finance and the Business Cycle: International, Inter-Industry Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1097-1128, 06.
- Abdullahi D. Ahmed, 2010. "Financial liberalization, financial development and growth linkages in Sub-Saharan African countries: An empirical investigation," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 314-339, October.
- LG. Deidda & B. Fattouh, 2005.
"Banks, Financial Markets and Growth,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200511, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Chandru P. Chandrasekhar, 2007. "Financial Policies," Policy Notes 3, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.