Are Sunspots Necessary?
AbstractIn this paper, the author shows the existence of stationary rational expectations equilibria in a simple, two-island, overlapping-generations model of the type first considered by Robert E. Lucas, Jr., in which all uncertainty is endogenous. The result is obtained by first constructing "sunspot" equilibria on each island separately and then using the equilibrium pricing equations to eliminate the sunspot variable. In the resulting equilibrium, each island's prices serve as the sunspot for the other island. The constructed equilibrium is nontrivially stochastic. Copyright 1989 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 97 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Garratt, Rod & Keister, Todd & Qin, Cheng-Zhong & Shell, Karl, 2002. "Equilibrium Prices When the Sunspot Variable Is Continuous," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 11-38, November.
- Jackson Matthew O., 1994.
"A Proof of the Existence of Speculative Equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 221-233, October.
- Jess Benhabib & Pengfei Wang & Yi Wen, 2013.
"Uncertainty and sentiment-driven equilibria,"
2013-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Tood Keister, 2005.
"Expectations and Contagion in Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks,"
0501, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Todd Keister, 2009. "Expectations And Contagion In Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 991-1012, 08.
- Todd Keister, 2006. "Expectations and Contagion in Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks," 2006 Meeting Papers 485, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Todd Keister, 2006. "Expectations and contagion in self-fulfilling currency attacks," Staff Reports 249, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011.
"Habit formation and sunspots in overlapping generations models,"
2011-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Fabrizio Orrego, 2014. "Habit formation and indeterminacy in overlapping generations models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 225-241, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.