Are Sunspots Necessary?
AbstractIn this paper, the author shows the existence of stationary rational expectations equilibria in a simple, two-island, overlapping-generations model of the type first considered by Robert E. Lucas, Jr., in which all uncertainty is endogenous. The result is obtained by first constructing "sunspot" equilibria on each island separately and then using the equilibrium pricing equations to eliminate the sunspot variable. In the resulting equilibrium, each island's prices serve as the sunspot for the other island. The constructed equilibrium is nontrivially stochastic. Copyright 1989 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 97 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Todd Keister, 2006.
"Expectations and contagion in self-fulfilling currency attacks,"
249, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Todd Keister, 2009. "Expectations And Contagion In Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 991-1012, 08.
- Tood Keister, 2005. "Expectations and Contagion in Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," Working Papers 0501, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Todd Keister, 2006. "Expectations and Contagion in Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks," 2006 Meeting Papers 485, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011.
"Habit formation and sunspots in overlapping generations models,"
2011-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Fabrizio Orrego, 2014. "Habit formation and indeterminacy in overlapping generations models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 225-241, January.
- Matthew O. Jackson, 1992.
"Proof of the Existence of Speculative Equilibria,"
1003, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jackson Matthew O., 1994. "A Proof of the Existence of Speculative Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 221-233, October.
- Jess Benhabib & Pengfei Wang & Yi Wen, 2013.
"Uncertainty and sentiment-driven equilibria,"
2013-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Garratt, Rod & Keister, Todd & Qin, Cheng-Zhong & Shell, Karl, 2002. "Equilibrium Prices When the Sunspot Variable Is Continuous," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 11-38, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.