International Capital Movements under Uncertainty
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze the determinants of international movements of physical capital in a model with uncertainty and international trade in goods and securities.In our model, the world allocation of capital is governed, to some extent, by the asset preferences of risk averse consumer-investors. In a one-good variant in the spirit of the MacDougall model, we find that relative factor abundance, relative labor force size and relative production riskiness have separate but interrelated influences on the direction of equilibrium capital movements.These same factors remain important in a two-good version with Heckscher-Ohlin production structure. In this case, the direction of physical capital flow is determinate (unlike in a world of certaint and may hinge on the identity of the factor which is used intensively in the industry with random technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 92 (1984)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. D. A. MacDougall, 1960. "THE BENEFITS and COSTS OF PRIVATE INVESTMENT FROM ABROAD: A THEORETICAL APPROACH," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 13-35, 03.
- Batra, Raveendra N, 1975. "Production Uncertainty and the Heckscher-Ohlin Theorem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 259-68, April.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1978. "A theory of international trade under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 22112, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anderson, James E., 1981. "The Heckscher-Ohlin and Travis-Vanek theorems under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 239-247, May.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2004.
"A view of the European Union as an evolving country portfolio,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8376, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Meon, Pierre-Guillaume & Weill, Laurent, 2004. "A view of the European Union as an evolving country portfolio," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 853-868, November.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2003. "A View of the European Union as an Evolving Country Portfolio," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2003-04, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- John T. Cuddington & Hong Liang & Shihua Lu, 1996.
"Uncertainty, Trade, and Capital Flows in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
- Cuddington, John T & Liang, Hong & Lu, Shihua, 1996. "Uncertainty, Trade, and Capital Flows in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(3), pages 192-224, October.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, S. & Sorensen, B.E. & Yosha, O., 1999.
"Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence,"
16-99, Tel Aviv.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 2003. "Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 903-918, June.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. S�rensen & Oved Yosha, 1999. "Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence," Working Papers 99-16, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 1999. "Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence," JCPR Working Papers 86, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2000. "Risk sharing and industrial specialization ; regional and international evidence," Research Working Paper RWP 00-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Sorensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 1999. "Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carol L. Osler, 1987. "Factor Prices and Welfare Under Integrated Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 2447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1988.
"Trade in Risky Assets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 375-94, June.
- Mario Crucini & Prasad Bidarkota, 1997.
"Commodity Prices and the Terms of Trade,"
98-01, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2004.
"Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe,"
2004-05, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 2004. "Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 4463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- VEronica Rappoport & Natalia Ramondo, 2009.
"The Role of Multinational Production in a Risky Environment,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1106, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ramondo, Natalia & Rappoport, Veronica, 2010. "The role of multinational production in a risky environment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 240-252, July.
- Carol L. Osler, 1988. "Terms of Trade and the Transmission of Output Shocks in a Rational Expectations Model," NBER Working Papers 2681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Pons-Novell & Daniel Tirado-Fabregat, 2006. "Specialization and asymmetries in macroeconomic fluctuations: Evidence for the European regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(7), pages 695-706.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2011. "Comment on "The Risk Content of Exports: A Portfolio View of International Trade"," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2011, pages 152-157 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Saito, Makoto, 1997. "Growth and risk-sharing with incomplete international assets markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 453-481, May.
- Robert Zymek (University of Edinburgh), 2013. "Factor Proportions and the Growth of World Trade," ESE Discussion Papers 226, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.