Targeting Capital Structure: The Relationship between Risky Debt and the Firm's Likelihood of Being Acquired
AbstractIn a takeover, wealth transfers from bidder and target equityholders to target debtholders can occur if target debt is coinsured by either the bidder's assets or by the synergy itself. Such wealth transfers reduce bidder and target shareholder gains and could poison the acquisition. With a sample from 1979-90, the author finds that, as the coinsurance potential of a firm's debt--measured as the amount of relatively risky debt outstanding--increases, its likelihood of being acquired decreases. In particular, he finds this coinsurance deterrent to be strongest during the 1985-90 period and strongest for firms with public debt outstanding. Copyright 1996 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 69 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mueller, Holger M & Panunzi, Fausto, 2003. "Tender Offers and Leverage," CEPR Discussion Papers 3964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- North, David S., 2001. "The role of managerial incentives in corporate acquisitions: the 1990s evidence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 125-149, June.
- Jandik, Tomas & Makhija, Anil K., 2004. "Debt, Debt Structure and Corporate Performance after Unsuccessful Takeovers: Evidence from Targets that Remain Independent," Working Paper Series 2005-6, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Jandik, Tomas & Makhija, Anil K., 2005. "Debt, debt structure and corporate performance after unsuccessful takeovers: evidence from targets that remain independent," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 882-914, October.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2004:i:may:p:320-352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bhabra, Gurmeet Singh, 2007. "Insider ownership and firm value in New Zealand," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 142-154, April.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William W. Lang & Choon-Geol Moon & Michael S. Pagano, 2004. "Managerial Incentives and the Efficiency of Capital Structure in U.S. Commercial Banking," Departmental Working Papers 200401, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Choon-Geol Moon & William W. Lang & Michael S. Pagano, 2001. "Managerial Incentives and the Efficiency of Capital Structure," Departmental Working Papers 200102, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Wald, John K. & Long, Michael S., 2007. "The effect of state laws on capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 297-319, February.
- Jandik, Tomas & Makhija, Anil K., 2005. "The Impact of the Structure of Debt on Target Gains," Working Paper Series 2005-5, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2001:i:may:p:385-422 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.