An Empirical Study of Long-term Unemployment in Australia
AbstractThe first part of this paper concentrates on modeling transitions out of unemployment using aggregated gross flow data. Models are estimated using monthly transition probabilities for March-April 1984. This analysis produces evidence consistent with negative duration dependence but sheds no light on the role of macroeconomic factors. The second part focuses on this issue. A time-series analysis of the proportion of long-term unemployment, using data for four age and sex groups, provides evidence that a proportionately has been associated with reduction in job availability. Copyright 1987 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oberholzer-Gee, Felix, 2008. "Nonemployment stigma as rational herding: A field experiment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 30-40, January.
- Pieter Serneels, 2004.
"The Nature of Unemployment in Urban Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2004-01, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Pieter Serneels, 2002.
"Explaining Non-Negative Duration Dependence Among the Unemployed,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2002-13, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pieter Serneels, 2004. "Explaining Non-Negative Duration Dependence Among the Unemployed," Development and Comp Systems 0409013, EconWPA.
- Pieter Serneels, 2002. "Explaining Non-Negative Duration Dependence Among the Unemployed," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-13, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Outi Aarnio, 1989. "On the effects of duration on Finnish unemployment," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 65-81, Spring.
- Jeff Borland, 2000. "Disaggregated Models of Unemployment in Australia," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.