cem: Coarsened exact matching in Stata
AbstractIn this article, we introduce a Stata implementation of coarsened exact matching, a new method for improving the estimation of causal effects by reducing imbalance in covariates between treated and control groups. Coarsened exact matching is faster, is easier to use and understand, requires fewer assumptions, is more easily automated, and possesses more attractive statistical properties for many applications than do existing matching methods. In coarsened exact matching, users temporarily coarsen their data, exact match on these coarsened data, and then run their analysis on the uncoarsened, matched data. Coarsened exact matching bounds the degree of model dependence and causal effect estimation error by ex ante user choice, is monotonic imbalance bounding (so that reducing the maximum imbalance on one variable has no effect on others), does not require a separate procedure to restrict data to common support, meets the congruence principle, is approximately invariant to measurement error, balances all nonlinearities and interactions in sample (i.e., not merely in expectation), and works with multiply imputed datasets. Other matching methods inherit many of the coarsened exact matching methodâ€™s properties when applied to further match data preprocessed by coarsened exact matching. The cem command implements the coarsened exact matching algorithm in Stata. Copyright 2009 by StataCorp LP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Note: Due to licensing issues, the software for this article cannot be made available from the Stata Journal web site.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corneo, Giacomo & Keese, Matthias & Schröder, Carsten, 2010.
"The effect of saving subsidies on household saving: Evidence from Germany,"
2010/3, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Giacomo Corneo & Matthias Keese & Carsten Schröder, 2010. "The Eff ect of Saving Subsidies on Household Saving – Evidence from Germanys," Ruhr Economic Papers 0170, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Pierre Azoulay & Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2011.
"The Diffusion of Scientific Knowledge Across Time and Space: Evidence from Professional Transitions for the Superstars of Medicine,"
NBER Working Papers
16683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Azoulay & Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2011. "The Diffusion of Scientific Knowledge Across Time and Space: Evidence from Professional Transitions for the Superstars of Medicine," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity Revisited, pages 107-155 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Jensen, Kyle & Murray, Fiona, 2012. "Governing knowledge in the scientific community: Exploring the role of retractions in biomedicine," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 276-290.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "The impact of the occupations and economic activities on the gender wage gap using a counterfactual framework," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 22, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Hartley, Gonzalo Reyes & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2011.
"Incentive effects of unemployment insurance savings accounts: Evidence from Chile,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 798-809.
- Reyes, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," CEPR Discussion Papers 7632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reyes Hartley, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," IZA Discussion Papers 4681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartley, G.R. & Ours, J.C. van & Vodopivec, M., 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," Discussion Paper 2010-04, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gonzalo Reyes Hartley & Jan C Van Ours & Milan Vodopivec, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," Working Papers 40, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Feb 2010.
- Mathieu Bunel & Yannick L'Horty, 2012.
"The Effects of Reduced Social Security Contributions on Employment: An Evaluation of the 2003 French Reform,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 33(3), pages 371-398, 09.
- Matthieu Bunel & Yannick L’Horty, . "The Effects of Reduced Social Security Contributions on Employment: an Evaluation of the 2003 French Reform," Papers 2012-12, TEPP Working Papers.
- Matthieu Bunel & Yannick L'Horty, 2012. "The Effects of Reduced Social Security Contributions on Employment: an Evaluation of the 2003 French Reform," Working Papers halshs-00856211, HAL.
- Duvendack, Maren & Palmer-Jones, Richard, 2011. "The microfinance of reproduction and the reproduction of microfinance: understanding the connections between microfinance, empowerment, contraception and fertility in Bangladesh in the 1990s," MPRA Paper 32384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gates, Scott & Hegre, Håvard & Nygård, Håvard Mokleiv & Strand, Håvard, 2012. "Development Consequences of Armed Conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1713-1722.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "Does the gender wage gap exist among male and female workers with similar human capital? A Coarsened Exact Matching for Chile between 1992 and 2009," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 19, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Maher, Joe, 2013. "Measuring the Energy Savings from Tree Shade," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150567, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Qian, Yiwei & Nayga Jr., Rodolfo M. & Thomsen, Michael R. & Rouse, Heather, 2013. "The Effect of the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program on Childhood Obesity," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150778, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.