Credit Constraints, Job Mobility, and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from a Property Reform in China
AbstractThis paper provides new evidence on the impact of private property rights and employer-provided housing on entrepreneurship. I find an increase in self-employment following a reform in urban China that allowed state employees who were renting state-owned housing the opportunity to buy their homes at subsidized prices. I develop a model of job choice to test two mechanisms that might explain how the reform increased entrepreneurship. I find evidence that the reform reduced labor mobility costs and alleviated credit constraints by allowing households to capitalize on the value of the real estate. © 2012 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J32 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Nonwage Labor Costs and Benefits; Retirement Plans; Private Pensions
- J48 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Particular Labor Markets; Public Policy
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- P14 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Property Rights
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shahidur R. Khandker & Hussain A. Samad & Rubaba Ali, 2013.
"Does Access to Finance Matter in Microenterprise Growth? Evidence from Bangladesh,"
15, Institute of Microfinance (InM).
- Khandker, Shahidur & Samad, Hussain & Ali, Rubaba, 2013. "Does Access to Finance Matter in Microenterprise Growth? Evidence from Bangladesh," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149028, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Samad, Hussain A. & Ali, Rubaba, 2013. "Does access to finance matter in microenterprise growth ? evidence from Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6333, The World Bank.
- Wang, Shing-Yi, 2014.
"Property rights and intra-household bargaining,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 192-201.
- Frijters, Paul & Kong, Tao & Meng, Xin, 2011. "Migrant Entrepreneurs and Credit Constraints under Labour Market Discrimination," IZA Discussion Papers 5967, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zhang, Junfu & Zhao, Zhong, 2011. "Social-Family Network and Self-Employment: Evidence from Temporary Rural-Urban Migrants in China," IZA Discussion Papers 5446, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012.
"Split Decisions: Family Finance when a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7028, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Clemens & Erwin Tiongson, 2012. "Split Decisions: Family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1234, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2012. "Split decisions : family finance when a policy discontinuity allocates overseas work," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6287, The World Bank.
- Michael Clemens and Erwin Tiongson, 2013. "Split Decisions: Family Finance When a Policy Discontinuity Allocates Overseas Work," Working Papers 324, Center for Global Development.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009.
"Property rights and economic development,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25428, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2009. "Property Rights and Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 7243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009. "Property Rights and EconomicDevelopment," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 006, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- James E. Rauch, 2013.
"Employee Spinouts, Social Networks, and Family Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
19727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Rauch, 2013. "Employee Spinouts, Social Networks, and Family Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 4539, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bracke, Philippe & Hilber, Christian & Silva, Olmo, 2013.
"Homeownership and Entrepreneurship: The Role of Commitment and Mortgage Debt,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7417, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:cge:warwcg:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Lixing & Wu, Xiaoyu, 2014. "Housing price and entrepreneurship in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 436-449.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.