Note on the Decomposition of Gini Inequality
AbstractThe purpose of this note is to propose a decomposition of the Gini index of inequality into within and between subpopulations using the Lerman-Yitzhaki covariance method. The present method suggests that once the population is arranged in ascending order of income and assigned ranks, the same ranks will be used to calculate total as well as between inequality. In this way, it differs from the one suggested by Jacques Silber (1989) in the measurement of between inequality and, thereby, in the interaction term. Copyright 1994 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 76 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anthony Shorrocks & Guanghua Wan, 2005.
"Spatial decomposition of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 59-81, January.
- Geoffrey Warner, 2001. "A lorenz curve based index of income stratification," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 41-57, December.
- Makdissi, Paul & Mussard, Stéphane, 2006.
"Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2006-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s - Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 0641, CIRPEE.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 06-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2012.
"Linking Yitzhaki's and Dagum's Gini decompositions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(23), pages 2997-3010, August.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2008. "Linking Yitzhaki’s and Dagum’s Gini Decompositions," Cahiers de recherche 08-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2008. "Linking Yitzhaki’s and Dagum’s Gini Decompositions," Working Papers 08-13, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jul 2008.
- Branko milanovic, 2003.
"True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alo,"
- Branko Milanovic, 2002. "True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First Calculation Based on Household Surveys Alone," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 51-92, January.
- Miguel Székely, 1997. "Opciones de políticas para la paliación de la pobreza," Research Department Publications 4063, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Miguel Székely, 1997. "Policy Options for Poverty Alleviation," Research Department Publications 4062, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kwang Soo Cheong, 1999. "A Note on the Interpretation and Application of the Gini Coefficient," Working Papers 199901, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- William Griffiths, 2008. "On Dagum’s Decomposition of the Gini Coefficient," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1054, The University of Melbourne.
- Sung Jin Kang & Man Woo Lee, 2001. "Income Distribution and Public Transfers as Social Safety Nets in Korea," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 61-75, December.
- Kwang Soo Cheong, 1999. "Economic Crisis and Income Inequality in Korea," Working Papers 199906, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Kuan Xu, 2003. "How Has the Literature on Gini's Index Evolved in the Past 80 Years?," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive howgini, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.