Gender Segregation and Wage Gap: An East-West Comparison
AbstractThis paper discusses the implication of recent results on the structure of gender wage gaps in transition economies for the literature on gender segregation. Differences in employment rates of low-wage women driven by initial transition policies may be responsible for different wage penalties to predominantly female occupations. New evidence presented here also suggests that the introduction of Western-type anti-discrimination policies has had little immediate effect on the structure of female-male wage differences. (JEL: J3, J7, P3) Copyright (c) 2005 The European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04/05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martina Mysíková, 2012. "Gender Wage Gap in the Czech Republic and Central European Countries," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(3), pages 328-346.
- Bičáková, Alena & Slacalek, Jiri & Slavík, Michal, 2008.
"Labor supply after transition: evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Working Paper Series
0887, European Central Bank.
- Alena Bièáková & Jiøí Slaèálek & Michal Slavík, 2011. "Labor Supply after Transition: Evidence from the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 61(4), pages 327-347, August.
- Alena Bicakova & Jiri Slacalek & Michal Slavik, 2008. "Labor Supply after Transition: Evidence from the Czech Republic," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp351, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Cristiano Perugini & Ekaterina Selezneva, 2013. "Labour Market Institutions, Crisis and Gender Earnings Gap in Eastern Europe," Working Papers 328, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Jurajda, Stepán & Paligorova, Teodora, 2009. "Czech female managers and their wages," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 342-351, June.
- Dohmen, Thomas & Lehmann, Hartmut & Zaiceva, Anzelika, 2008.
"The Gender Earnings Gap inside a Russian Firm: First Evidence from Personnel Data – 1997 to 2002,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3428, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dohmen, Thomas & Lehmann, Hartmut & Zaiceva, Anzelika, 2008. "The gender earnings gap inside a Russian firm : first evidence from personnel data - 1997 to 2002," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 41(2/3), pages 157-179.
- T. Dohmen & H. Lehmann & A. Zaiceva, 2008. "The Gender Earnings Gap inside a Russian Firm: First Evidence from Personnel Data ? 1997 to 2002," Working Papers 633, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alena Bicakova, 2010. "Gender Unemployment Gaps: Evidence from the New EU Member States," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp410, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Stepan Jurajda & Teodora Paligorova, 2006.
"Female Managers and Their Wages in Central Europe,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp296, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Jurajda, Štepán & Paligorova, Teodora, 2006. "Female Managers and their Wages in Central Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 2303, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jurajda, Stepan & Paligorova, Teodora, 2006. "Female Managers and their Wages in Central Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 5871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolf, Elke & Heinze, Anja, 2007. "How to Limit Discrimination? Analyzing the Effects of Innovative Workplace Practices on Intra-Firm Gender Wage Gaps Using Linked Employer-Employee Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-077, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pastore, Francesco & Verashchagina, Alina, 2007. "When Does Transition Increase the Gender Wage Gap? An Application to Belarus," IZA Discussion Papers 2796, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrén, Daniela & Andrén, Thomas, 2007.
"Occupational gender composition and wages in Romania: from planned equality to market inequality?,"
Working Papers in Economics
261, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Andrén, Daniela & Andrén, Thomas, 2007. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Romania: From Planned Equality to Market Inequality?," IZA Discussion Papers 3152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.