Transmission Des Prix Et Asymétrie Sur Les Marchés De Produits Vivriers Au Bénin
AbstractThis paper examines price transmission between the retail market of Cotonou and rural markets of several food products in Benin. The use of Enders and Granger asymmetric model on the monthly price series from 1990 to 2005 shows that most rural food markets are symmetrically integrated to the retail market. The speed of price adjustments on the rural markets is however greater than the speed of price adjustments on the retail market of Cotonou. Merchant associations that are more active in the rural markets could explain such results. By consolidating their supply and chartering together their shipments, merchant associations facilitate trade between markets despite high transaction costs resulting from distances between markets and low quality of the road network. Through agreements on buying and selling prices of food products, these merchant associations exercise some market power on these markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
PRICE TRANSMISSION; ASYMMETRY; FOOD MARKETS; MERCHANT ASSOCIATION; COTONOU; BENIN;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michela Cutts & Johann Kirsten, 2006. "Asymmetric Price Transmission And Market Concentration: An Investigation Into Four South African Agro-Food Industries," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(2), pages 323-333, 06.
- Adegbidi, Anselme & Dedehouanou, Houinsou & Kpenavoun, Sylvain & Lutz, Clemens, 2003. "Dix Ans de LibÃ©ralisation du MarchÃ© de Mais au BÃ©nin," CDS Research Reports 200320, University of Groningen, Centre for Development Studies (CDS).
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michel Simioni & Daniel Hassan, 2004. "Transmission des prix dans la filière des fruits et légumes: une application des tests de cointégration avec seuils," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 283(1), pages 27-46.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999.
"Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001. "Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Xia Tian, 2009. "Asymmetric Price Transmission, Market Power, and Supply and Demand Curvature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Alderman, Harold, 1992.
"Intercommodity price transmittal : analysis offood markets in Ghana,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
884, The World Bank.
- Alderman, Harold, 1993. "Intercommodity Price Transmittal: Analysis of Food Markets in Ghana," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998.
"Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Abdulai, Awudu, 2000. "Spatial price transmission and asymmetry in the Ghanaian maize market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 327-349, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998.
"Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Staff General Research Papers
1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998. "Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders/Granger JBES(1998)on threshold unit roots," Statistical Software Components RTZ00054, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2004.
"Measuring market integration in the presence of transaction costs--a threshold vector error correction approach,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 327-334, December.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2003. "Measuring Market Integration In The Presence Of Transaction Costs - A Threshold Vector Error Correction Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25869, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Erno Kuiper, W. & Lutz, Clemens & van Tilburg, Aad, 2003. "Vertical price leadership on local maize markets in Benin," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 417-433, August.
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.