Effects of university research on the geography of innovation
AbstractDel Barrio-Castro T. and Garcia-Quevedo J. (2005) Effects of university research on the geography of innovation, Regional Studies 39 , 1217-1229. Applied studies on the relationship between geography and technological innovation for the USA, Germany, France and Italy have shown the positive effects that academic research exerts on the innovative output of firms at a spatial level. The purpose of this paper is to look for new evidence on the possible effects of university research for the case of Spanish regions. Within the framework of a Griliches-Jaffe knowledge production function, and using panel data and count models, the relationship between innovative inputs and patents is explored. The results show that university research exerts a positive influence on the regional distribution of private innovation of high-technological content.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18000 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baptista, Rui & Swann, Peter, 1998. "Do firms in clusters innovate more?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-540, September.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Roberta Piergiovanni & Enrico Santarelli, 2001.
"Patents and the Geographic Localization of R&D Spillovers in French Manufacturing,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 697-702.
- R. Piergiovanni & E. Santarelli, 1998. "Patents and the Geographic Localization of R&D Spillovers in French Manufacturing," Working Papers 327, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, 05.
- Ford, Timothy C. & Rork, Jonathan C., 2010. "Why buy what you can get for free? The effect of foreign direct investment on state patent rates," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 72-81, July.
- Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Modrego-Rico, 2013. "Relationships Among Technology Institutes and Firms: Are Determining Factors Dependent on the Type of Service Provided?," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 343-369, December.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/11416 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrés Barge-Gil & Luis Santamaría & Aurelia Modrego, 2010. "Complementarities Between Universities and Technology Institutes: New Empirical Lessons and Perspectives," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 195-215, December.
- Love, James H. & Roper, Stephen & Bryson, John R., 2011. "Openness, knowledge, innovation and growth in UK business services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1438-1452.
- Massimo Colombo & Diego D’Adda & Evila Piva, 2010. "The contribution of university research to the growth of academic start-ups: an empirical analysis," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 113-140, February.
- Thomas Brenner & Charlotte Schlump, 2013. "Universities, Public Research and Regional Innovation Output: An Empirical Study of 19 Technologies in Germany," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-03, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Stephen Roper & Spyros Arvanitis, 2009.
"From Knowledge to Added Value: A Comparative, Panel-data Analysis of the Innovation Value Chain in Irish and Swiss Manufacturing Firms,"
KOF Working papers
09-244, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Roper, Stephen & Arvanitis, Spyros, 2012. "From knowledge to added value: A comparative, panel-data analysis of the innovation value chain in Irish and Swiss manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1093-1106.
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú, 2008. "Does only size matter in the use of knowledge intensive services?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 137-146, August.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-28756 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Cinzia Daraio, 2013. "Knowledge spillover effects at the sub-regional level. Theory and estimation," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-13, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Fritsch, Michael & Slavtchev, Viktor, 2006.
"Universities and innovation in space,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2006,15, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Megha Mukim, 2012.
"Does Agglomeration Boost Innovation? An Econometric Evaluation,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 357-380, September.
- Megha Mukim, 2011. "Does agglomeration boost innovation? An econometric evaluation," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1356, European Regional Science Association.
- Tomás del Barrio-Castro & José García-Quevedo, 2009.
"The determinants of university patenting: Do incentives matter?,"
XREAP2009-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2009.
- Tomás del Barrio-Castro & José García-Quevedo, 2009. "The determinants of university patenting: Do incentives matter?," Working Papers 2009/13, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Giovanni Guastella & Frank van Oort, 2011. "On specifying heterogeneity in knowledge production functions," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1114, European Regional Science Association.
- Paola Cardamone & Valeria Pupo & Fernanda Ricotta, 2012. "University And Firm Performance In The Italian Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 201207, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Love, James H. & Ganotakis, Panagiotis, 2013. "Learning by exporting: Lessons from high-technology SMEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-17.
- Muscio, Alessandro & Nardone, Gianluca, 2012. "The determinants of university–industry collaboration in food science in Italy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 710-718.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.