Spatial Integration of Wheat Markets in India: Evidence from Cointegration Tests
AbstractUsing the maximum likelihood method of cointegration, this paper empirically evaluates intra-state and inter-state spatial integration of wheat markets in India. The cointegration tests provide strong evidence in favour of spatial integration of the regional wheat markets. Even though the regional markets are geographically dispersed, the prices across different market centres within and across the selected states have exhibited long-run spatial linkages, suggesting that all the exchange locations are integrated and the prices provide relevant market signals. There are several implications of these results for agricultural price policy and food market liberalization programmes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Oxford Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 31 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Ganesh Kumar & Ashok Gulati & Ralph Cummings, Jr., 2009. "Reforming Foodgrains Management: Achieving Food Security with Cost-Effectiveness," Working Papers id:2172, eSocialSciences.
- Tahir Mukhtar & Muhammad Tariq Javed, 2007. "Price Integration in Wholesale Maize Markets in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 1075-1084.
- Katengeza, Samson P. & Mangisoni, Julius H. & Okello, Julius Juma, 2010. "The Role of ICT-based Market Information Services in Spatial Food Market Integration: The Case of Malawi Agricultural Commodity Exchange," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96170, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Katengeza, Samson P., 2009. "Malawi Agricultural Commodity Exchange And Spatial Rice Market Integration," Research Theses 117804, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Kadir Eryigit & Suleyman Karaman, 2011. "Testing for spatial market integration and law of one price in Turkish wheat markets," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1519-1530, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.