Testing for Unit Roots: What Should Students Be Taught?
AbstractUnit-root testing strategies are unnecessarily complicated because they do not exploit prior knowledge of the growth status of the time series, they worry about unrealistic outcomes, and they double- or triple-test for unit roots. The authors provide a testing strategy that cuts through these complications and so facilitates teaching this dimension of the unit-root phenomenon. F tests are used as a vehicle for understanding, but t tests are recommended in the end, consistent with common practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal The Journal of Economic Education.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hacker, Scott, 2010. "The Effectiveness of Information Criteria in Determining Unit Root and Trend Status," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 213, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Alberto Bagnai, 2010. "Twin deficits in CEEC economies: evidence from panel unit root tests," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1071-1081.
- Rieber, Arsène & Bagnai, Alberto & Tran, Thi Anh-Dao, 2013. "Economic growth and balance of payments constraint in Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11406, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kris James Mitchener & nd Mari Ohnuki, 2007. "Capital Market Integration In Japan," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-17, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Gilberto A. Libanio, 2004.
"Unit roots in macroeconomic time series: theory, implications, and evidence,"
Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG
td228, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Gilberto Libanio, 2005. "Unit roots in macroeconomic time series: theory, implications, and evidence," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 15(3), pages 145-176, September.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Roberto Tinajero, 2004. "Short-Run Price Dynamics in Mexico," Macroeconomics 0407027, EconWPA.
- Hacker, Scott & Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2010. "The Properties of Procedures Dealing with Uncertainty about Intercept and Deterministic Trend in Unit Root Testing," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 214, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Dorota Witkowska & Krzysztof Kompa & Aleksandra Matuszewska-Janica, 2012. "Analysis of Linkages between Central and Eastern European Capital Markets," Dynamic Econometric Models, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 12, pages 19-34.
- Elder, John & Serletis, Apostolos, 2009. "Oil price uncertainty in Canada," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 852-856, November.
- Andros Gregoriou & Niloy Bose & M. Emranul Haque, 2010. "Modeling the non-linear behaviour of option price deviations from the Black Scholes model," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 26-35, January.
- A. Bagnai & A. Rieber & T.A.D. Tran, 2013.
"Economic growth and balance of payments constraint in Vietnam,"
13, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Alberto Bagnai & Arsène Rieber & Thi Anh-Dao Tran, 2013. "Economic growth and balance of payments constraint in Vietnam," Working Papers DT/2013/06, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Arlene Garces-Ozanne, 2006. "A bounds test approach to the study of level relationships in a panel of high-performing Asian economies (hpaes)," Working Papers 0607, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2006.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2010.
"On the Link Between Fiscal Decentralization and Public Debt in OECD Countries,"
21599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010. "On the link between fiscal decentralization and public debt in OECD countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 351-378, December.
- Geys, Benny & Vermeir, Jan, 2008. "The political cost of taxation: new evidence from German popularity ratings," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2008-06, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Elder, John & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Long memory in energy futures prices," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 146-155.
- Kris James Mitchener & Mari Ohnuki, 2007. "Capital Market Integration in Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 25(2), pages 129-154, November.
- Gilberto A. Libanio, 2004. "Unit roots in macroeconomic time series: a post Keynesian interpretation," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td233, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Geys, Benny, 2010. "War casualties and US presidential popularity: A comparison of the Korean, Vietnam and Iraq war," Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism" SP II 2010-05, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, Atiq-ur-Rehman & Zaman, Asad, 2008. "Model specification, observational equivalence and performance of unit root tests," MPRA Paper 13489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, Atiq-ur-Rehman & Zaman, Asad, 2009.
"Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests,"
19963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, 2011. "Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, vol. 3(2), pages 22-33, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.